Trans Camp 13th January
Trans Media Action is organising a 1-day social innovation camp!
What is it? A 1-day event to come up with ideas to improve media coverage and awareness of trans people in the UK.
Where? Channel 4, Horseferry Road, London
When? 13th January (Friday) 9.30am – 5.30pm (with drinks afterwards)
How does it work?
We’ve done some investigation into the difficulties facing our community in the media and have come up with the following questions:
- There is very little awareness of the existence of trans children. How do we change that?
- What can we do to help the media create more accurate coverage about trans people? Headlines are appalling – how can we start to change them?
- Can we find a constructive way of galvanising the trans community to report on transphobia in the media in a way that can be acted upon?
- How do we make producers of comedy aware of who they are making comedy about?
- How can we use the web to help family, friends and partners better accept and support trans people?
We think that these are some of the toughest, most important questions facing trans people and their relationship with the media today – questions, that if answered positively, can dramatically change a person’s life for the better.
We want to bring together five teams of people from a variety of backgrounds – software developers, journalists and media producers, trans people and people with trans relatives or friends, service and product designers, and innovators and social entrepreneurs. In groups, we’ll tackle these five questions and, in one day, come up with five really good, well-thought out product ideas that use web and mobile technologies and the media to make life better.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for a handful of great, well thought-out ideas to come out of a one-day event – these could be for profit, non-profit, community interest – your imagination is the limit. We’ll support some of the ideas after the event, and, to keep things interesting, Channel 4 and a team of expert judges will choose a winner who will get £1000 to develop their idea.
Who are we looking for:
- Software Developers
- Service & product Designers
- Project managers
- Journalists and producers
- Trans people from all walks of life
- Innovators and social entrepreneurs
Why would you want to come?
- You’ll have a chance to work with some fantastic people for a whole day, being creative and helping to solve big problems for a marginalised community
- You’ll learn about the trans community and meet some wonderful people with great stories to tell
- You and your team will have the chance for your ideas to receive funding
- You’ll be wined and dined, Channel 4 style
Places are limited at this 1-day camp (50 in total) so if you would like to come, please let us know here.
We’re being helped out by our friends at Social Innovation Camp who are specialists in turning ideas into real projects.
Why do social innovation camps work?